Description: Critical Appraisal: Appraising a Diagnostic Test: D-Dimer
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Define the terms pre-test and post-test probability
- Define the terms sensitivity, specificity and positive and negative predictive values
- Explain the biases that occur in diagnostic studies
- Define internal and external validity
- Wells PS, Anderson DR, Rodger M et al. Evaluation of d-dimer in the diagnosis of suspected deep-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med 2003;349:1227-1235.
- Greenhalgh T. How to read a paper: papers that report diagnostic or screening tests. BMJ 1997;315:540-543.