Description: This session deals with the critical appraisal of a meta-analysis of a treatment for a common emergency presentation.
Duration: 1 hour
After completing this session you will be able to:
- Define the levels of evidence
- Recognise what makes a good search
- Outline the reasons for performing a meta-analysis
- Distinguish between a systematic review and a narrative review
- Describe heterogeneity and the measures used to assess it
- Describe publication bias and the measures used to assess it
Refer to the following for additional information:
- Greenhalgh T. How to Read a Paper. 3rd edn. BMJ Publishing Group, 2001.
- Goodacre S. Critical appraisal for emergency medicine: 6 systematic reviews. EMJ 2009;26(2):114-117.
- The Centre For Evidence Based Medicine. View website [http://www.cebm.net/?o=1018]
- Klasser T, Jadad A, Moher D. Guides for reading and interpreting systematic reviews. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 1998;158:700-704.